Apple Pie Cake
Updated: Dec 12, 2018
So, you stuffed yourself with desserts on Thanksgiving. You had enough pumpkin pie, apple pie, and pecan pie for five people (but shhh.. we won't tell anyone.) You wake up the next day wanting all the desserts in the world, even though the night before you couldn't possibly stomach one more ounce of sugar. US TOO!! It's 9am the morning after Thanksgiving and all we want is more sweets. That's why we came up with an amazing way to re-purpose the leftover apple pie.
Side note: We ran the local four mile race the morning of Thanksgiving (Run 4 the Pies). The top finishers get to bring home one pie each and we ended up going home with FOUR pies!!! (The two of us along with our mom and boyfriend each won a pie). Soooo naturally, we were thinking "WTF are we supposed to do with four pies?!?!" HERE IT IS.
The ingredients are seriously so simple. All you need is leftover apple pie, 2 boxes of cake mix (we love Betty Crocker super moist!), (water, eggs, and vegetable oil for the cake mix), two tubs of vanilla frosting, and some caramel sauce. Lucky for you, if you don't have this stuff lying around in your pantry, all stores re-open the day after Thanksgiving! And trust us, the run to the grocery store is wellllll worth it.
While the two cakes are baking, use a spoon (or your hands if you don't care to get a little messy) and scoop out the inside of the apple pie (including the crust). Set the crumbled pie aside until the cakes have cooled. Then, fill the cakes like so:
Once the pie is spread evenly, place the second cake on top and frost the top and the sides of the cakes. We did a naked frost on the sides, but you can definitely load up on the frosting!! And lastly... dont forget .... drizzle hot caramel as generously as you'd like. There can neverrrr be enough caramel.
Leftover apple pie
Two tubs of vanilla frosting
Two boxes of cake mix (any brand you like)
For the cake mix:
2 1/2 cups water
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix together boxes of cake mix, vegetable oil, eggs, and water until there are no lumps remaining.
2. Pour the batter evenly into two round cake pans.
3. Bake the cakes for about 25-30 minutes. Check the cakes after 25 minutes. (Temperature and time will vary depending on which brand of cake mix you use. These are the directions for the Betty Crocker Super Moist White cake.)
4. While the cakes are baking, spoon out the apple pie (turning it into crumbles). Set aside in a separate bowl.
5. Once the cakes are baked through, let them cool completely. (If you skip this step, the cakes will be slipping on top of each other and the frosting will melt off.)
6. Even off the tops of each cake using a long serrated knife.
7. Spread the apple pie crumbles on top of the first cake. Place the second cake on top of the apple pie and frost.
8. Once the cake is completely frosted, heat up the caramel sauce and drizzle generously over the top of the cake.
FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM FOR MORE VIDEOS - @BERMANSISTERSBAKE