Chocolate Caramel Turkey Legs
Updated: Dec 3, 2018
With Thanksgiving only 2 days away, some of us may be running out of time to cook up something perfect to bring to a Thanksgiving dinner. The grocery stores are a mad house, some of us have to work, the kids are home from school, etc. Well bitches, we are here to save the day: Do yourself a favor and make these!!! They only take about 10 minutes, only call for THREE ingredients, and we promise they will have people coming back for fourths. And not to mention, they make the dessert table look pretty dang good.
Literally all you need for this recipe is braided twists, baking chocolate, and caramels. It really doesn't get any simpler. We used honey braided twists because the lighter color makes them look a little more like turkey legs, but you can also use regular pretzels as long as they're the thicker pretzel rods.
Unwrap the caramels before you begin molding them around the pretzels. You will need to place them (unwrapped) in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for about 10-15 seconds (just so they're warm enough to mold easily) You will need about 3 caramels for each pretzel so unwrap accordingly. (Feel free to use more or less depending on how much caramel you like!)
Shape the caramel in a drumstick shape to get the full turkey leg feel. We wouldn't recommend using more than four caramels per turkey leg as it gets a little too chewy when you're eating them lol. We find that three is the perfect amount of caramel-pretzel ratio :)
MMMM and now for the chocolate. It will be benefit to melt your baking chocolate in a deeper dish so you can just dunk each drumstick. When you dunk the turkey legs in the chocolate make sure to leave some caramel still showing. We only dunked our turkey legs once, but if you feel as if the caramel/chocolate ratio is off, you can definitely dunk the turkey legs twice (just make sure to chill the legs after the first round of dunking so that the chocolate can cool before dunking for a second time.)
Honey Wheat Braided Pretzel Twists
1. Prep all of your ingredients by placing the pretzels on a plate, tray, or cookie sheet with parchment paper. Unwrap all caramel squares (3-4 per pretzel depending on how much caramel you like)
2. Heat caramel in microwave for about 10-15 seconds until warm, not hot.
3. Mold the caramels onto the pretzels rods in a drumstick shape.
4. Melt baking chocolate for about 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds. You just want to melt until the chocolate is smooth and lump-less.
5. Dip each turkey leg into the chocolate, leaving about 1/2 inch of caramel showing at the bottom.
6. Sprinkle crushed pretzels over the top of each turkey leg.
7. Chill in fridge for 30 minutes.
(If you wish to dunk the turkey legs into chocolate for a second time so that the chocolate coating is a bit thicker, just skip step 6 and sprinkle the crushed pretzels after the second round of dunking.)
FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM FOR MORE VIDEOS - @BERMANSISTERSBAKE