Updated: Dec 3, 2018
The staple of any Thanksgiving dessert table!! In elementary school, we had a teacher who made these one day in class (although we still have no idea where she had an accessible hot oven?!?) We took the recipe home to our mom and the rest is history. This is our all time favorite fall dessert.
Above: Ingredients for the pumpkin cake
Above: Ingredients for the filling...so simple!
You'll want to wait to make the filling until the cake is in the oven. Bake the cake in a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for only about 14 minutes. Since the cake is so thin, it won't take long at all for it to cook through. Once the cake is baked, it needs to be rolled up immediately **in the parchment paper**. The cake will still be hot so be careful when rolling not to burn yourself.
Honestly...the hardest part about this entire recipe is not rolling too fast to where you crack the cake but also not rolling too slow to where you burn yourself lol. Let the cake cool COMPLETELY in the parchment paper. Once it has cooled, you can unroll the cake (slowly and carefully) and spread the filling.
An even spread will make for proportional bites later on. You want to get just the right amount of filling for each bite of pumpkin! Once the filling is spread evenly, you need to re-roll the cake (this time without the parchment paper.) Once the cake is rolled, wrap the cake in saran wrap to make sure it stays tightly rolled and stick it in the fridge for at least one hour.
And that's it!! Once the cake is cooled, cut into it and enjoy. If you resist the urge to eat the entire roll in one sitting (unlike us) and want to store the roll for later, just keep it wrapped in its saran wrap and in the fridge.
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup canned pumpkin
8 oz. cream cheese
2 tablespoons butter (softened)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line your sheet pan with parchment paper.
2. Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, sugar, vanilla, and pumpkin. You'll want to mix until smooth.
3. Add flour mixture to the bowl of wet ingredients and stir until completely mixed.
4. Pour the batter evenly into the parchment-lined sheet pan and bake for 14 minutes. (The cake cooks fast because of how thin it is so be careful not to dry it out.)
5. Once the cake is baked through, immediately take the cake out of the sheet pan by lifting up using the parchment paper. Roll the cake (in the parchment paper) from one end to the other. **The cake will be hot so be careful not to burn yourself.
6. Let the cake cool completely. While cake is cooling, make the filling by mixing together the cream cheese, vanilla, butter, and powdered sugar. (An electric mixer is best for this step, but if you don't have one, you can mix by hand ... it'll just take a little extra muscle ;))
7. Once the cake is cooled, unroll the cake carefully. Spread the filling evenly onto the cake, leaving about 1/2 inch of room on each side.
8. Roll the cake again (this time without the parchment paper.) Wrap the cake snugly in saran wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour.
9. **Optional: Give the cake a generous dust of powdered sugar!
FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM FOR MORE VIDEOS - @BERMANSISTERSBAKE