Star Spangled Iced Lemon Cake
Updated: Jul 9
"Refreshing" and "light" aren't exactly the words you think of when you eat cake, but this is one of few exceptions. The airy-ness of the cake, fluffiness of the cool whip and freshness of the lemon and berries will make you question whether this cake is actually off of your diet.
Hey, it's me, Jordan! I'm writing this one myself since this was a recipe I came up with for a last minute Fourth of July baking competition between my boyfriend, his brother, his brother's girlfriend and myself. As you can probably guess, the guys weren't so much baking as they were taking demands from their girlfriends.... "Spatula!" "Eggs!" "Cake Pans!" and off they would run to grab whatever kitchen item we needed next 😂. Gotta love the obedient boyfriends!
And if you were wondering..... my boyfriend and I won. Which actually means I won ;) I don't call myself a part of the Berman Sisters Bake duo for nothin, people! If you were at all curious, it was a split decision between my boyfriend's parents, so we took some down to the neighbors for them to decide lol. My cake was a clear winner. (Oh, and my boyfriend's brother and his girlfriend made a blueberry coffee cake with an orange glaze. DELICIOUS, but not very Fourth of July if you ask me 🤷♀️😏)
Anywho, the great thing about this recipe is that you can make it ALL SUMMER long. It's not just a Fourth of July recipe. But, before you start baking away, here are a few tips and suggestions:
Tip #1: This is going to sound weird BUT if you stir the cake batter with a large spoon (rather than mixing the batter in a mixer, or beating with a beater), the batter will be a little clumpier. When the cake is cooking, these clumps will "burst" and create airy pockets in the cake. This makes for a lighter, not-as-dense cake. (BUT, don't leave TOO many clumps! You still want your cake to be somewhat dense.)
Tip #2: Let the cool whip thaw while you're making the cake and letting the cake cool. This will allow for the cool whip to spread onto the layers much smoother.
Tip #3: Let the glaze cool in the fridge before decorating the top. This will avoid the fruit slipping and sliding off of the cake.
Tip #4: The glaze will pool at the bottom of the plate due to the overflow from the top. Decorate the bottom of the plate with strawberries and blueberries to cover up the overflow.
Tip #5: Refrigerate the cake. Since the filling is made of cool whip, which should stay cool for the full effect (and so it doesn't melt), you should keep this cake in the fridge until serving time.
Suggestion: I didn't do this, but looking back it would've been a nice touch. Feel free to add some lemon zest into the cake batter. You can just use the lemon zest from the lemons you juice for the glaze. This will give the actual cake a lemon-y flavor rather than the only lemon flavor coming from the glaze itself.
Without further ado....
1 box white cake mix
Ingredients for mix
16 oz. cool whip
4-5 tbsp lemon juice
1 cup confectioners sugar
16 oz. container of strawberries
Handful of blueberries
1. Make & bake cake according to box instructions in two 8x8 round pans.
2. Once cakes are cooled, cut each cake in half to make four
3. Spread thawed cool whip on each layer of the cake stacking each cake layer on each layer of cool whip. Do not put cool whip on the top layer of cake.
4. Make the glaze by mixing 1 cup of confectioners sugar with lemon juice. Start with 3 tbsp and slowly add more lemon juice as needed (until consistency is runny, but still thick). You can use just a spoon for this part. Nothing fancy.
5. Pour the glaze over the cake until top of cake is covered.
6. Let glaze chill in fridge until semi-hardened (about 10 minutes). Then, decorate the top by cutting your strawberries into triangle shapes and putting them together on the cake to form a star shape. Fill the center of the star with blueberries. (You can also cut the blueberries in half lengthwise and put the flat part of the blueberry face-down on the cake to make for a more even bottom and avoid the risk of the blueberries rolling around).
7. As always, ENJOY!!